Steel Cut Oatmeal | Vanilla, Maple & Almond Butter


Hello Weekend!  Thanks for finally getting here.  Is it just me, or did this last week seem longer than usual?  Hmmm, in any case, the weekend is here and our social calendar is full.  Between gymnastics, dinner parties, birthday parties and breakfast dates, these next 2 days are jam-packed.  I hope I'm up for it.  Beginning the day with a hearty breakfast is bound to get me started on the right foot and power thru.
Oatmeal is my usual breakfast of choice, but during the week I tend to stick with rolled oats.  I save the 'good oats' for the weekend, when mornings are more relaxed and we can take our time with breakfast.  I prefer the taste and texture of steel cut oats, compared to the rolled variety.  They have a nutty flavour to them and chewy texture.  Super satisfying.  Better flavour and texture means a longer cook time.  Instead of a 6 minute breakfast this one takes 45, but so worth every extra minute.  Good thing I was up before the sun.   An early start, an early workout and a delicious breakfast.  Bring it on Saturday...I'm ready for you! 


Vanilla, Maple & Almond Butter Steel Cut Oats

Ingredients:
1 cup steel cut oats
3 cups water
1 cup milk
1/2 Tbsp vanilla
1/4 cup maple syrup
1/4 cup homemade almond butter
1/4 cup granola (optional)
milk for serving

Method:
In large saucepan bring water to a boil.  Slowly stir in oats.  Allow to thicken, approximately 5 minutes, reduce heat.  Simmer uncovered for 30 minutes stirring occasionally. 
Add in milk and cook for an additional 5-10 minutes.
Stir in vanilla, maple syrup and almond butter.
Divide among 4 bowls and top each with 1 Tbsp granola if desired.   Serve with milk.
Enjoy!  
Serves 4

Comments

Popular Posts