Pumpkin Pie Oats

It's pumpkin time.  From seeds, to pie, and everything in between.  I can't get sick of this stuff.  Consider yourselves warned.  You are about to see big, orange pumpkins in your sleep, as I plan on using this stuff in ridiculous amounts.  Let's hope this pumpkin shortage doesn't come into play and ruin my plans.



This recipe is for my sister.  Actually it's for me, but my sister will benefit just the same.  She loves pumpkin pie!  She is also the type of girl that never orders dessert at a restaurant.  Unless, she is tricked into it by me.   It's usually cheesecake, warrants a special trip and usually ends with me eating all of mine, and stealing more than a bite of hers.  However, during a recent trip to her favourite dinner place, she was tempted and then talked into having dessert (without me present.)  How did this happen?  Two words.   Pumpkin Pie.  This is a seasonal dessert that is once again available on menus everywhere.  That's it, dessert ordered and finished.  After telling me this story, and gushing over it's deliciousness, she asked for my help.  I was all set to make her a pie, only to find out that wasn't what she was after.  Nope.  Instead she wanted me to make oatmeal taste like pumpkin pie.  Consider it done.  Pie @ breakfast, you betcha. I've already succeeded at making oatmeal taste like cake, so pie should be a cake walk.

So for you dear sister, (and for me) here it is....


Pumpkin Pie Oats

Ingredients:
1/2 cup quaker quick oats
3/4 cup pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
1 cup unsweetened almond milk, plus additional for serving
1 Tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp nutmeg
1/8 tsp ginger
pinch of cloves
1 tsp vanilla
1 Tbsp pecans, chopped

Method:
In saucepan, heat almond milk till it reaches a boil.  Add spices and oats.  Reduce heat and cook stirring occasionally for 6-8 minutes.  Stir in vanilla, brown sugar and pumpkin puree.  Heat thru.
Remove from heat, pour into bowl.  Top with pecans.  Add additional milk if desired.  Devour.

Pumpkin Pie for breakfast.
Enjoy


Comments

Popular Posts