Mango Fever

Even though it's September, we still have some fabulous weather ahead of us.  As in, mid to high 20's.  Whoop, whoop!  I guess my 'last smoothie of summer' post was a little premature and my career as a future meteorologist might not pan out after all...
Since we are still experiencing beautiful temperatures, I like to cook lighter.  Leaning more towards sweet and refreshing, saving the hearty soups and casseroles for when the mercury drops.  What does this mean?  Well, more mango of course!  I'm on somewhat of a mango kick these days.  I tend to pick favourite fruits and run wild.  That is, until I've exhausted myself and moved on to the next lucky variety.  However, August, and now September have been mango-fever driven! 
After experimenting with my 'mango-sweet chili' dressing that I used in my seafood salad.  I've come to realize just how well those two flavours pair together.  So it was a no-brainer to mimic those flavours in my couscous dish.  Light and completely perfect on a late-summer's night.  Partnered along side some grilled chicken marinated in the same sweet chili sauce, this dinner was all the rage.  Mango-Chili-Rific!   
  

 

Mango & Edamame Couscous


 
Ingredients:
1/2 cup uncooked whole wheat couscous
3/4 cup low sodium chicken or vegetable stock
1/2 cup edamame, shelled
1 mango, peeled and chopped
2 Tbsp sweet chili sauce
1 Tbsp green onion
1 Tbsp pine nuts
  
Method:
In saucepan, bring vegetable stock to a boil.  Add couscous. Stir and cover.
Remove from heat, let stand for 5 minutes.  Fluff with fork.  Add chili sauce and stir to incorporate.
If using frozen edamame in pods, steam or boil according to package directions.  Remove from pods.  Set aside.
Add edamame and green onion to couscous.  Mix well.
Divide mixture between two bowls.  Top each with 1/2 of mango and pine nuts.  Garnish with a few extra green onions if desired.
Serve & Enjoy! 
The best sweet chili sauce ever!  Thanks LT.

Comments

Popular Posts