In Season: Asparagus
|photo courtesy: Ontario Farm Fresh|
ASPARAGUS = GREEN POWER
These nutrient rich spears are packed with fiber, folate, and vitamins A, C, E and K. Which means asparagus can do everything from detoxify our system, to reduce the risk of heart disease and even has known anti-aging functions. Anti-aging? Can I get an Amen? If nothing else, that alone is going to make me double, maybe even triple my asparagus intake.
- look for tight, firm tips, that are bright green in colour
- ends should be cut and not dry. Typically asparagus is sold standing up and in water.
- wrap the cut ends with a damp paper towel
- keep refrigerated
- bottom ends of asparagus are tough.
- holding the spear end to end bend, you will find each spear has a natural breaking point. this is where the asparagus transitions from tender to woody. snap and discard the bottoms.