Sun-Dried Tomato & Basil Biscuits



What is it about bread at dinner that just makes everything better?  It's common practice at most restaurants that you are greeted with a basketful of bready/carby goodness.  This also happens to be my favourite part of the meal, well, until dessert.  The bread is J's favourite part too, mostly because it's free.  How easy am I to please?  If 'they' (being the restaurant owners) would let me get away with it, I would forgo the entree and just dine on bread.  This is frowned upon, so instead, I request refills.  The greatest bread basket I've experienced to date was at the Mesa Grill in LV.  We had it refilled 3 times during the course of our meal, it was unbelievable.  There was walnut bread, cornbread, and jalapeno biscuits.  A great mix of flavours.  Oh, I can taste it now...even though its been months.
Tonight, I wanted some bread to accompany our meal.  Actually, I wanted biscuits.  But not just your regular biscuit, nope, something different.  Well, I didn't have any jalapenos floating about, so I couldn't mimic Mr. Flay's version.  I did however have basil and sun-dried tomatoes on hand, so there you have it.  My newest creation.  Flaky, delicious and warm from the oven.  I could actually just eat these for dinner, pass me another.




Sun-dried Tomato & Basil Biscuits

Ingredients:
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp salt
1 Tbsp sugar
3 Tbsp butter
6 Tbsp milk
2 Tbsp egg, beaten
1 1/2 tsp dried basil
1 1/2 Tbsp sun-dried tomatoes in oil, drained and chopped

Method:
Preheat oven to 375.  Line baking sheet with silpat mat or parchment paper.  Set aside.
In large mixing bowl combine flour, baking powder, sugar, salt and basil.  Cut in butter.
In separate bowl combine milk and egg.  Add to dry ingredients, along with sun-dried tomatoes.  Stir to combine.
Turn out onto lightly floured surface and knead 5-10 times.
Pat out to form a circle 1 - inch thick, using biscuit cutter cut into 6 pieces.
Transfer to prepared baking sheet, brush with milk.  Bake for 11-14 minutes.
Enjoy.

yields: 6 biscuits

Comments

Popular Posts