Baked Doughnuts


Being from Canada when you think doughnuts, you think Tim Horton's.  The two are pretty much synonymous with one another.  In fact, I don't think I've had a doughnut from anywhere else in years (call me loyal.)  My favourite?  Old fashioned sour cream glazed.  Hands down.  In second place, chocolate glazed.  I guess anything covered in sugar is okay by me. 
Last year, I ended up getting a copy of 'Family Circle' magazine as a gift.  The cover story was on baked doughnuts.  It's almost as if the 'gifter' knew me or something.  These doughnuts looked absolutely delicious.  All I was missing was a pan.  Amazon to the rescue!  I ordered it, and the minute it came in, proceeded with the recipe.  I have been baking them ever since.  Deliciousness. 
Today, they were a birthday treat for my mother in law.  Happy Birthday LS! xoxo.
Enjoy!

ps.  baked=healthy=have more than 1.  seems about right.  welcome to how i rationalize things.


Chocolate Baked Doughnuts w/ Frosting

yields: 6 doughnuts

Ingredients:
doughnuts
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
1 egg
4 tsp butter, melted
1 tsp vanilla
frosting
1 cup confectioners' sugar
1 Tbsp milk
sprinkles, coconut, chocolate chips for decorating

Method:
Preheat oven to 325F.  Coat doughnut pan with non-stick cooking spray.  Set aside.
In a large bowl whisk together flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt.  In small bowl whisk together buttermilk, sugar, butter, egg and vanilla until smooth.  Add milk mixture to flour mixture; whisk until blended and smooth.
Spoon batter into large resealable plastic bag.  Cut off corner and squeeze batter into prepared indents, about 2/3 full.  Smooth tops.  Bake for 13 minutes, until doughnuts spring back when lightly pressed.  Cool in pan on rack for 3 minutes, then carefully turn out on rack to cool.
To make glaze combine milk and sugar in small bowl and mix until smooth.  Dip cooled doughnuts into frosting and allow excess to drip off back into bowl.  Transfer to rack.  Top with sprinkles, coconut or chocolate chips.
Enjoy!
recipe courtesy Family Circle Magazine - April 2010

Comments

Popular Posts