Diner Deluxe | Maple Fried Oatmeal w/ Vanilla Bean Cream & Lemon Curd
Typically, whenever I go out for breakfast, the last thing I think about ordering is oatmeal. Usually my go-to's are pancakes or Eggs Benedict. This is nothing new/shocking/or otherwise surprising, I'm sure. However I make one exception...
Breakfast @ Diner Deluxe.
(located @ 804 Edmonton Trail NE in Calgary, Alberta)
Maple Fried Oatmeal w/ Vanilla Bean Cream & Lemon Curd.
Oh. My. Word. Deliciousness.
Enjoy, Happy Friday! (or rather, Happy Saturday Morning. breakfast date J? pretty please.)
Maple Fried Oatmeal w/ Vanilla Bean Cream & Lemon Curd
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 5 egg yolks
- 5 lemons, zest and juice
- 1/2 pound cold butter, cubed
- 1 whole vanilla bean
- 3 tablespoons good quality vanilla extract
- 1 cup apple juice
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup real maple syrup
- 1 litre whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 4 cups rolled oats
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup real maple syrup
- 1 litre Vanilla Cream recipe
- 1 cup Lemon Curd recipe
- Over a double boiler, combine sugar, whole eggs, egg yolks, lemon zest and juice and whisk until ‘ribbon’ stage.
- Slowly add the cold butter, a few pieces at a time, whisking until mixture is smooth and cool.
- Refrigerate until needed.
- Split and scrape seeds from vanilla bean and add to apple juice, lemon juice and maple syrup.
- Add vanilla pod and simmer for 8 - 10 minutes.
- Add in whipping cream and return to a gentle simmer. Do not boil or cream will split.
- Reduce by half. (Approximately 20 minutes)
- Cool and refrigerate until needed.
- Bring 1 litre of water to a boil adding 2 tablespoons of salt.
- Add brown sugar, oats, butter, nutmeg, and cinnamon.
- Bring the mixture back to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until oats are cooked through. (Approximately 7 - 10 minutes)
- Add dried cranberries, and spread out on a 6 x 9-inch baking sheet that has been lined with parchment or lightly greased with butter.
- Allow to cool and then slice into eight equal squares.
- Gently fry the squares of oatmeal in a non-stick pan with some butter.
- When lightly browned, flip the oatmeal squares and add 1 tablespoon of maple syrup, ½ cup vanilla cream, and top with 1 tablespoon lemon curd.
- Repeat assembly eight times.
Recipe courtesy: You Gotta Eat Here (food network.ca) & Diner Deluxe (chef Ryan Turbide)