Sunday @ The Farmer's Market

I can't think of a better way to spend a Sunday morning than cruising the local farmers market with the husband and kids in tow.  Aisle upon aisle of fresh breads, fruits and vegetables.  Mmm...it's a food blogger's paradise!
Today we came home with some great loot.  My favourite bread; wild rice & green onion, beets, beans, carrots, tomatoes and mini cucumbers!  Dee-lish.

I remember hearing some really good advice once...don't go to the store with a list of what to make for dinner, make your meals based on what looks good.  Well, while looking around the FM, I came across a Curry Quinoa Salad.  Hello, inspiration!  Two things I love.  One dish.  Long weekend.  Does it get any better?  Now the old me, (prior to food blogging that is) would have picked up a container and brought it home.  Instead, (being the new me) I went over to the spice counter picked up some sweet curry spice and set out to make this dish my own.

Curry & Apple Quinoa Salad

 
Ingredients:
1 cup quinoa, uncooked
1 cup vegetable broth
1 cup water
1 granny smith apple, diced
1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 - 1 Tbsp sweet curry powder (depending on how much you love curry - I love it)
2 Tbsp olive oil, plus more for pan
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
  
Method:
Bring 1 cup of water and 1 cup of vegetable broth to a boil.  Add quinoa, reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.  Fluff with fork.
Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a skillet.  Add onions and garlic and cook till tender.
In a large mixing bowl add cooked onions and garlic, raisins, apples, quinoa, olive oil and curry.  Mix well. 
Refrigerate for at least 2 hours.  Add walnuts just before serving.

Yields: 4-6 servings
 
Note: if you find mixture to be a little dry, add a splash of vegetable broth.

Comments

  1. This looks delicious! I'm stopping by from Food on Friday.
    Jenni @ Jenni's Ferris Wheel of Food

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your sweet comment and for stopping by. Happy Weekend!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts