Pancake Project Week 5 | Carrot Cake

Another Sunday, another pancake recipe.


Since I've begun this cooking journey, I've become a pancake connoisseur...or at least that's how I like to think of myself.  Maybe a pancake snob is a more accurate term?  I use to be satisfied with any pancake, at any restaurant (including McDonald's, which from my days of working there, I can tell you, are frozen and microwaved.)  Unfortunately, I'm no longer as easily impressed.  This hasn't deterred me from continuing to order them whenever we are out @ breakfast.  I like that they come to you the size of dinner plates, in multiple quantities and for some reason I don't feel bad about eating the entire stack.  But if it's quality I'm after, then I opt to make them myself.

So, this weeks feature is...CARROT CAKE!


Bugs Bunny would be all over these pancakes.  He'd have to fight me for them first.  (This now brings to mind a visual of Bugs and I, both with giant boxing gloves on, duelling it out in an animated ring, while other WB characters watch on.  Oh, and in case you were wondering, I came out victorious!)



After the success of the banana bread + pancake combo.  It dawned on me that carrot cake would make an equally delicious pancake.  Shredded carrots, plump raisins, chopped pecans and coconut, make this one exciting pancake.  My day has officially begun! 
These pancakes are pretty filling, but, if you are up to it, leave the bottle of maple syrup in the fridge and make a cream cheese glaze.  Mmm.  Best part about filling pancakes...Monday Leftovers!  Now this is how the work week should start!

Well, off to the farmers market I go, I need to replenish my carrot supply.
That's all folks!  Happy Pancake Sunday!


Carrot Cake Pancakes

Ingredients:
1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
3 Tbsp brown sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
2 eggs, beaten
3/4 - 1 cup milk (depending on moisture in carrots)
1 1/2 cup carrot, grated
1/4 cup pecans, toasted & chopped
1/4 cup raisins
1/4 shredded coconut
1 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp nutmeg
pinch of ginger


Method:
In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, raisins, coconut, pecans, salt and spices.
In separate bowl, whisk together milk and eggs.  Add in grated carrot.  Stir.  Add to dry ingredients until just moistened.
Spoon batter in 1/3 cup portions onto lightly oiled griddle or pan (spread batter out a little).  Cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until bubbles form on top and underside is golden.  Flip and cook for 1-2 minutes.
Keep pancakes warm in oven while repeating with remaining batter.
Serve warm with maple syrup or cream cheese glaze (see below.)  Top with additional coconut & pecans if desired.
Yields: 8 pancakes


Cream Cheese Glaze:
Ingredients:
1 cup confectioners' sugar
3 Tbsp cream cheese, softened
2 Tbsp milk
1/4 tsp vanilla


Method: 
Whisk together all ingredients.  Pour on top of pancakes.  Sprinkle with coconut and pecans.

Comments

Popular Posts