Pea Pesto

Whenever I've made pesto in the past, I've always done so with basil.  After stumbling upon a recipe that called for the use of peas, I was instantly drawn.  I love peas, so I knew going into this, it was going to be a hit.  And it was!  Mmmm...is all I can say.  I'd probably be inclined to eat a shoe if it had this sauce on it (hmm...maybe that's going a little too far?)
The use of peas, produces a thicker sauce which can be used as either a dip or with the addition of some starchy pasta water, served on top of your favourite noodles.
We enjoyed it both ways tonight.  Delicious.  Fresh.  Perfect for a Tuesday dinner.


Pea Pesto - 2 Ways 

Ingredients:
1 1/4 cup frozen peas, thawed
2 cloves garlic, grated
1/2 cup parmesan cheese, shaved
1/4 cup pine nuts
1/3 cup olive oil
salt & pepper
grape tomatoes
baguette or fresh pasta for serving

Method:
Using a food processor, pulse together, peas, garlic, parmesan and pine nuts.  With machine running slowly add olive oil until well combined.  Season with salt and pepper.
Serve on top of your favourite fresh pasta noodles or on top of grilled baguettes.  Garnish both with grape tomatoes.

Appetizer (my favourite!)
brush sliced baguette with olive oil and broil until golden brown.  top with pesto and a halved grape tomato.

Main Course
toss cooked pasta with pesto, adding starchy cooking water to smooth out.  top with grape tomatoes, grated parmesan and pine nuts. 
recipe: slightly adapted from Giada De Laurentiis

Comments

Popular Posts