Butterscotch-Apple Scones


Who said scones were only a weekend treat?  Not this girl.
I need an afternoon pick-me-up.  I think I'll make some scones.  (truth be told I don't need a 'pick me up' but it's a good excuse to get my baking on)  Being in the kitchen puts a smile on my face, and having a delicious scone afterwards sets me over the edge with glee.
Ever since I made the dark chocolate orange scones last month, I've been dying to try out different flavour combinations.  However, I recognize the importance and need to pace myself.   I figure enough time has lapsed to warrant a new recipe, so here it goes...
I have some apples in the fridge and a half eaten bag of butterscotch chips in the pantry (don't ask where half the bag went...that's not what's important here).  Done.  Scones await!

Pick me up was a success (again, not needed), scones were delicious.  I really just want scones for dinner...


 

Butterscotch Apple Scones 

Ingredients:
2 cups all-purpose flour
4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/3 cup sugar
6 Tbsp butter
3/4 cup buttermilk
1 egg
1 apple, diced
3/4 cup butterscotch chips

milk & sugar to top


Method:
Preheat oven to 375.  Line baking sheets with silpat mat or parchment paper.  Set aside.
In large mixing bowl combine flour, baking powder, salt and sugar.  Cut in butter.
In separate bowl combine buttermilk and egg.  Add to dry ingredients.  Stir to combine.  Fold in apple and butterscotch chips.
Turn out onto lightly floured surface and knead 5-10 times.
Pat out to form a circle 1 1/4-inch thick, cut into 8 equal segments.
Transfer to prepared baking sheets, brush with milk and sprinkle with sugar.  Bake for 15 minutes or until golden in color.

Yields: 8

Comments

Popular Posts