mixed berry & vanilla muffins


Let me introduce you to my newest, most favouritest, berry combination...blueberry, blackberry & raspberry.  This trio is fruit perfection.  And it just so happens I have a giant Costco sized bag of these antioxidant powerhouses in my freezer @ the moment.  I know, I know, you're all jealous.  I would be too.
These fruit gems have become a welcome addition to my morning oatmeal.  Today I decided that a few of these lucky berries were going to get folded into some muffin batter and baked.  Lucky berries?  More like lucky me.   Mmmm...Muffins. 



Mixed Berry & Vanilla Muffins

Ingredients:
2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cups sugar, plus more for sprinkling
1 Tbsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/4 cup oil
3/4 cup milk
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1 1/3 cup frozen mixed berries (blueberries, blackberries & raspberries)

Method:
Preheat oven to 350F.  Lightly spray 12 cup muffin tin with non-stick spray, or use muffin cups.  Set aside.
In large bowl, combine all the dry ingredients and whisk till blended.
In smaller bowl combine eggs, applesauce, oil, milk, and vanilla.  Add to dry ingredients, stirring till just moistened.  Fold in berries. (note: to help avoid 'sinking berries' you can dust them in a little flour before adding them to the batter)
Using ice cream scoop, evenly distribute batter among 12 muffin cups.  Sprinkle tops with sugar.  Bake for 27-30 minutes, or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.  Cool in pan for 5 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack.
Eat one while they are still warm, there are few things in life better.  Enjoy!


Yields: 12 muffins
recipe adapted from food.com

Comments

Popular Posts