Rhubarb Oatmeal Crumb Bars

image courtesy: Victoria Public Market

Fact: The only thing better then fresh rhubarb, is fresh rhubarb from my parents garden.
I love (and am envious) that they grow their own fruits and vegetables year after year, without fail. I love it even more when they send me home with 'care packages.'  Fresh & free.  Perfect.

Every spring I tell myself, that this is the year I'm going to plant my own garden.  Every year summer rolls around and there is still no garden to be found.  I think I need a 'garden fairy' to swing by and plant one for me.  Either that, or mom and dad could do it....hint, hint.
At least between the farmers markets' and my parents, I've got the fresh produce market cornered.  There is no shortage to be found in our house.  Phew.  Good news for the vegetable and fruit lover in me.

Okay, back to the rhubarb. 
My parents made a delicious Rhubarb Crisp on the weekend.  Tart & sweet, it was everything I wanted in one delicious spoonful.  Guest post?  I think so.  The question is can I convince my dad to blog?  If I was in Vegas I'd bet it all and put it on 'no.'  Maybe he'll share the recipe though, blogging optional.
In the meantime, I need to figure out what to do with the bag of rhubarb they sent me home with.  Jam?  Muffins?  Tart?  Pie?  How about a portable 'crisp' aka, rhubarb crumb bars.  Winner.

Happy Rhubarb Season!





Rhubarb Oatmeal Crumb Bars

Ingredients:
Crumb Mixture
1 1/2 cups Quaker quick oats
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup butter, melted
1/4 cup maple syrup


Filling
2 cups fresh rhubarb, sliced 1/2" thick
3/4 cup sugar
2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 tsp vanilla


Method:
Preheat oven to 350F. Line 8 or 9 inch square baking dish with parchment paper. Set aside.
To prepare crumb mixture:  Whisk together oats, flours, and brown sugar in large bowl.
In small bowl combine melted butter and maple syrup. Pour over oat mixture, and stir till thoroughly combined.  Set aside.

To prepare filling:  Combine sugar and flour.  Mix well.  Add egg and vanilla, and beat until smooth.
Pour 2/3 of crumb mixture into prepared baking pan. Top with rhubarb.  Pour filling mixture over top evenly distributed.  Finally top with remaining 1/3 crumb mixture.
Bake for 40-50 minutes. Turning once half way.
Allow bars to cool for 3 hours. Cut into 16 bars.


crumb recipe adapted from my strawberry-pecan granola bars  &
filling recipe adapted from rhubarbinfo.com

Comments

Popular Posts