Stained Glass Jell-O

Happy Canada Day!

I celebrated today with a beautiful hike in the mountains with my sister.  We are fortunate enough to live close enough to some fabulous trails and today we took full advantage of it.  Ahhh, so relaxing and the perfect way to celebrate 144 years.

As a special treat for my kids and to mark our country's birthday, I decided to make some 'patriotic' Jell-O.  Jell-O is something that I grew up with, so it's only fitting that my kids do too.  I can vividly remember many recesses spent on the playground eating the sugar crystals straight out of the box (Okay, not the way it was intended to be eaten, but delicious none the less)  Of course my parents would never allow me to take a box of Jell-O to school, so I surrounded myself with friends who did.  Yay for mid-morning sugar highs!  I love Jell-O prepared the old fashioned way too, but, I'm an even bigger fan of stained glass Jell-O.  The addition of sweetened condensed milk makes this classic treat creamy and oh so pretty to look at.   
Off to enjoy the remainder of the long weekend - and what's left of these yummy treats!  ENJOY!!
Love, JS 


Stained Glass Jell-O

Ingredients:
4 boxes of Jell-O (any flavour; we used cranberry and strawberry)
4 envelopes unflavoured gelatin
1 - 14oz can sweetened condensed milk
Hot and Cold water

Method:
In medium bowl, mix 2 boxes of jello with 1 envelope of unflavored gelatin.  Add 2 cups of boiling water and stir to dissolve.  Cool to room temperature and pour into a 9x13-inch glass pan that has been sprayed with nonstick spray.  Refrigerate 20-30 minutes, or until set. 
While first layer is setting, prepare white layer.  In another bowl, mix sweetened condensed milk with 1 cup of boiling water.  In a separate small bowl, sprinkle 2 envelopes of unflavored gelatin over 1/2 cup cold water.  Let stand a few minutes and then add 1/2 cup boiling water to dissolve the gelatin.  Add to the milk mixture and stir to combine.  Cool to room temperature.  Pour over the first layer of jello.  Refrigerate for 20-30 minutes, or until set.
Repeat with 2nd red layer.  Refrigerate for 20-30 minutes, or until set.
Use a sharp knife to cut, and then use a metal spatula to slide underneath the jello and scoop out squares. 
(I used a maple leaf cookie cutter for ours but any shape will do if you want something other than squares)

(recipe courtesy of recipegirl.com)

Comments

Popular Posts