Pancake Project Week 1 | Orange Ricotta w/ Vanilla-Orange Syrup


Pancakes are officially back on the weekend menu!  It was a short lived period where we went without.  I'm happy to report, the griddle is heated, batter prepared and new recipes to be had.
Over the course of the next 4 weeks, I'm going to attempt a new pancake/waffle recipe each Sunday.  I'm very excited about this, because well, to be honest, I love pancakes!

Pancake Project (PP) Week 1 - Orange Ricotta

I'm loving everything 'orange' these days.  From jewelry, to clothes and of course food!  Last weeks Dark Chocolate Orange Scones, set it in motion for me, so I wanted to continue with a citrus themed breakfast this week.
Typically, when speaking of ricotta pancakes, I opt for a lemon flavour with a warm blueberry sauce.  After-all we know how well those two fruits go together.  However, today I was thinking orange, feeling orange...so, I'm going orange.  Mmm...refreshing, light, fluffy and a great wake up!

Now with a full stomach and a completely satisfied feeling, I'm off to the farmers market.  Nothing like a good loaf of warm baked bread and fresh produce to get me through the week ahead.  Happy Long Weekend!


 

Orange Ricotta Pancakes w/ Vanilla-Orange Syrup

Ingredients:
1 3/4 cups (15 ounces) part-skim ricotta cheese
1/3 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp grated orange zest
2/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp vanilla
confectioners' sugar or vanilla-orange syrup for serving (recipe follows)

Method:
In small bowl, whisk flour, baking soda and baking power.
In medium bowl, whisk together ricotta cheese, granulated sugar, eggs, orange zest and vanilla.  Add flour mixture until just combined.
Heat large nonstick skillet over medium-low heat.  Add pancake batter using a 1/4 cup measure.  Cook until browned, approximately 4-5 minutes per side.
Serve hot with orange syrup or dusted with confectioners' sugar
Yields: 8 pancakes

Orange Syrup (simple syrup)

Ingredients:
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup orange juice
1 tsp grated orange zest
1/4 tsp vanilla

Method:
Combine all ingredients in saucepan.  Bring to boil over medium heat.  Allow to simmer for 3-5 minutes.  Remove from heat, allow to cool slightly.

This is love!  Citrus Love!
pancake recipe - slightly altered from Everyday Food

Comments

Popular Posts