Organic Kale & Roasted Beet Salad

Thanksgiving 2013 was one for the record books.

The day started with great 10K run with my sister and parents in support of Alzheimer's.  I ended up knocking out a personal best on time, despite my iPhone choosing that moment to not play music or track my pace.  #friendsoff 
After the race was over, and with my runners high still going strong, it was time to start thinking about dinner.  This year I was in charge of bringing a salad and decided on Organic Kale & Roasted Beet as it seemed seasonally appropriate.  It's safe to say beets are my favourite of the root vegetables, and I'm having a golden beet love affair as of late.  I'm also always having a candied pecan and goat cheese love affair, which is why this salad has my name written all over it.

  

Let's agree that aside from being more than pleasing on the palette, this salad is also visually stunning.  Almost too pretty to eat.  Almost.


You need to make this dish.  Then you need to invite me over to help you eat it.




Organic Kale & Roasted Beet Salad w/ Kidney Beans, Goat Cheese & Candied Pecans


Ingredients:
6-7 beets (variety of golden and red) washed, root ends and stems still intact
1 bunch organic kale
15oz red kidney beans
1/2 cup goat cheese
1/2 cup candied pecans

dressing:
1/4 cup olive oil
2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
2 Tbsp maple syrup
1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
1 clove garlic, minced


Method:
Preheat oven to 425F.  Individually wrap beets in tinfoil and roast for 45-55 minutes.  Allow to cool, rub off skins and cut into wedges.
Meanwhile, wash kale and remove tough stalks, chop into bite-sized pieces.  To remove some of the bitterness that naturally comes with kale try massaging it for a couple minutes.
In small container combine oil, vinegar, syrup, mustard and garlic.  Whisk till combined.
In large bowl combine kale, cooled beets, and beans.  Pour dressing over top, tossing to combine.  Top with goat cheese and pecans.

Serves 8
inspired from Cook without a Book: Meatless Meals


Happy Thanksgiving #gratitude

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts