Lemon & Thyme Buttermilk Biscuits


Homemade biscuits (eaten within 3-5 minutes of baking) are a favourite of mine. But because my love for them runs deep and my will power runs low, I have to limit myself to making these only on occasion.  Luckily for me this Tuesday qualifies as such, if for no other reason than I think they are long overdue.

Today I decided to put some added love (aka lemon & thyme) into my favourite buttermilk biscuit recipe.  The flavours of lemon and thyme always reminds me of spring, and the weather outside today is also reminiscent of that.  Who doesn't love plus-like weather in January?



Lemon & Thyme Buttermilk Biscuits

Ingredients:
4 cups all-purpose flour
4 tsp baking powder
4 tsp white sugar
1/2 tsp sea salt
2 tsp lemon zest
2 tsp fresh thyme, chopped
1 cup unsalted butter
3 large eggs
1 1/4 cups buttermilk

Method:
Whisk together first 6 ingredients.  Add butter and work in with pastry cutter until mealy in consistency.  Beat eggs into buttermilk in separate bowl.  Add the wet mix to the flour/fat mixture and just bring together (do not knead or overwork dough)
Drop the dough onto a greased or parchment lined baking tray with a spoon (should be around 2 1/2 inches in diameter) and bake a 400F on the middle rack until golden brown


Comments

Popular Posts