Strawberry & Peanut Butter Tart

It's time to buckle down, seriously buckle down.  Game on, if you will.

My trip to Hawaii is fast approaching, which also means bathing suit season is only weeks away.  I'm pretty sure I've now tried on 30 swimsuits only to come to the conclusion there is nothing I hate more.  Between the lighting, those dreaded 360 mirrors, and my pasty/ghost-like complexion, it's a fail on all accounts.  So in an attempt to make myself feel better and momentarily forget about the Lycra one pieces, I've turned my attention to tarts a la mode.  My swimsuit dilemma is officially on the back burner until tomorrow, but for now I'm going to enjoy a classic, grown-up slice of peanut butter heaven.


Dear PBTart,

I'm sorry to say that you and I will be parting ways for the next month.  Don't feel too bad, I'm cutting out most desserts.  It's not you, you were great, it's the beach.  The beach is calling, oh and so is my treadmill.  Please take comfort in the fact that I enjoyed our short time together, but you and your leftovers have to get out of my house.  Not too worry I've sent you to a good home.

Yours Truly,
JS



Strawberry & Peanut Butter Tart


Ingredients:
2 1/4 all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
12 Tbsp unsalted butter, softened, plus more for pan
1 cup peanut butter (creamy or crunchy)
3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup strawberry jam

vanilla or strawberry ice cream for serving

Method:
Preheat oven to 350F.  Generously butter a 9-inch fluted tart pan with a removable bottom.
Whisk the flour, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl.  Beat the butter, peanut butter and both sugars in a separate bowl with a mixer until smooth.  Beat in the egg and vanilla.  Add the flour mixture and stir with a wooden spoon until combined.
Press half of the dough into the prepared tart pan.  Spread the jam over the dough, leaving a 1/2-inch order around the edge.  Drop about half of the remain dough over the jam by the tablespoonful; lightly press the rest of the dough into the pan around the edge to form a crust.  Bake until golden, 40 - 45 minutes.
Transfer the pan to a rack and let cool.  Remove the ring and transfer the tart to a plate.

Serve with ice cream.

Serves: 10- 12
recipe courtesy: Food Network Magazine September 2011

Comments

Popular Posts