mussels w/ onions, garlic, cherry tomatoes & white wine


I love mussels.  I wish I had muscles.  At least one of these is easily attainable, unfortunately, it isn't strength.  In fact, if you challenged me to do a 'chin-up' right now, it would be laughable.  Envision a 29 year old dangling from a bar, trying her hardest not to fall.  That's what you'd see.  Shameful, I know.  Does anyone out there want to take on the role of my personal trainer?  I will pay you in friendship and food.


Okay, back to the mussels I actually know something about.  The seafood.  The mussels currently taking up space in my fridge, begging to be steamed.
Pre-blog days, mussels scared me.  I was under the impression they were only something attempted by world renowned chefs, saved for restaurant outings, and gasp, never attempted by a stay at home mom.  Truth is they couldn't be easier, quicker, or healthier to work with.  Simple and fresh ingredients make this dish perfect for an easy weeknight meal, yet fancy enough to entertain with on weekends.  Oh, and who could forget the sides that accompany mussels.  Frites & bread.  I've got goosebumps just thinking about it.





Mussels w/ Onions, Garlic, Cherry Tomatoes & White Wine


Ingredients:
2 1/2 lbs mussels, cleaned
6 cloves garlic, minced
1 red onion, diced
1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
1/4 cup fresh parsley, plus more for garnish
2 Tbsp olive oil
3/4 cup white wine
sea salt & fresh ground pepper
red pepper flakes

Crusty bread or 'frites' for serving

Method:
In large pot with lid, heat olive oil over medium heat.  Add onions, cook for 3-4 minutes.  Add garlic cook for an additional 1 minute stirring constantly.  Add in tomatoes, parsley, wine, red pepper flakes and salt & pepper.  Allow mixture to come to a boil.  Add in mussels, stir.  Cover and cook for 7-9 minutes, or until mussels have opened.
Transfer to large serving bowl, discard any mussels that did not open completely.  Garnish with parsley.

Serve w/ bread or frites
Serves 2 (main dish) or 4 (appetizer)

Comments

Popular Posts