Whole Wheat Blueberry & Banana Pancakes

The first Friday in July marks the beginning of ten straight days of cowboys, free pancake breakfasts, beer gardens, rodeo/chuckwagons, belt buckles, and concerts.  The Calgary Stampede is underway.  Yeehaw!  And next to Christmas, this is my favourite time of year, since it usually coincides with my birthday (you can't fault me for that.)  Also, I blame the free pancakes and cowboys (in that order.  Swoon, every girls dream...)
This year happens to be the 100th anniversary, which only means a bigger and better party than any year past.  Twist my arm.  A bigger party?  I'm game.  What, Garth Brooks is coming to play in concert?  Sure, I'll go.  He's only my favourite artist ever (shout out to you KR for letting me be your date.)  These next 10 days are going to be epic!

So to kickoff the next week and a half, the kids and I are rocking out in our western attire, watching the parade on TV, and eating homemade 'flapjacks.'  And no regular flapjack either.  Nope.  100 years and Garth Brooks means I'm breaking out the big guns lassoing in a special one, Whole Wheat Banana Blueberry.   Mmmm.  I love me some pancakes and Stampede.


This one is for you LS.   I hope it reminds you of home and of the Blue Star Diner.  New Zealand is lucky to have you for the next couple years.  After which Canada is looking forward to keeping you permanently.  The two of us will also have a much overdue breakfast date to attend to.  Mark your calendar.
Hugs,
JS





Whole Wheat Blueberry Banana Pancakes

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
2 Tbsp sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 1/4 cup buttermilk
3 bananas, mashed
1 1/4 cups fresh blueberries, plus additional for garnish
1 tsp vanilla

blueberries, sliced bananas, & maple syrup for serving

Method:
In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt.
In separate bowl, whisk together milk, eggs, mashed banana, and vanilla.  Add to dry ingredients until just moistened.  Fold in blueberries.
Spoon batter in 1/4 cup portions onto lightly oiled griddle or pan.  Cook for 1 to 2 minutes or until bubbles form on top and underside is golden.  Flip and cook for 1 minute.  Keep pancakes warm in oven while repeating with remaining batter.

Yields: 12-14 pancakes

Comments

Popular Posts