Purple Chips

Earlier this week I posted my homemade potato chips recipe.  Today, get ready for another vegetable chip.  A little unconventional, but as tasty as they come, I promise.  Save your potatoes for something else (mash 'em, roast 'em, stuff 'em, whatever,) and break out a different root vegetable.  Beets.

You already know that beets make a weekly appearance on my grocery list.  They are about as essential as milk, eggs or even bread.  Typically we eat them roasted, boiled, in salads, or muffins; but today they are coming to you in the form of chips.  You heard it right, chips.  Now before you get all judgemental and send me letters telling me I'm crazy, I urge you to give them a try, I betcha can't eat just one.  In fact as I'm writing this, batch #2 is currently baking away.

Happy/healthy snacking!







Beet Chips


Ingredients:
2 medium beets, ends trimmed and peeled
1 tsp olive oil
sea salt

Method:
Preheat oven to 300F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper  and set aside.
Using a mandolin, slice beets very thin. Place in bowl and toss with olive oil until coated.
Transfer beets to prepared sheets in a single layer.  Sprinkle with sea salt.
Bake for 20-30 minutes. Watching closely so as not to burn them.
Remove from oven. Allow to cool on rack.
(note: the beets will crisp up as they cool)


Comments

Popular Posts