A Pastel Layer Cake & Orange Meringue Frosting


I'm not one to toot my own horn, but really, lets be honest, this has got to be the prettiest cake I've ever made, hands down.  Give this cake the blue ribbon already.  Nah, make it a pastel pink ribbon, we wouldn't want to clash, right?
On the outside this cake looks like any other.  White icing - standard.  You'd probably guess either chocolate or white on the inside.  Then, BAM!  You cut it open and you are greeted by a sea of girly vanilla flavoured pastels.  And the frosting?  That's none other than an Orange Swiss Meringue.  Fancy.

Part of me  wants to just stare at this cake all day.  "It's just too cute to eat," I constantly hear myself say.  Then my taste buds take over, and well, now only crumbs remain.  Why is it those pesky taste buds always win?  At least I have pictures to remember this by, trust me I need them, especially at the speed that this cake was scarfed down.  Sugary-carby-slice-O-heaven. 
Winner winner.  We had cake for dinner.  Okay, we had it for dessert, but that doesn't rhyme.

You may be wondering who the lucky recipient of such a cake was.  I can tell you that it was for my kid sister, and the celebration that we refer to as her birthday week.  She's turning the big 2-7, so that's worthy of at least an entire weeks celebration.  As for me, we celebrate birthday month, but I'm sure you've come to expect that by now.
Happy Birthday Jam-Rock, may this year be your best one yet.  Love ya!



Orange Swiss Meringue Frosting


Ingredients:
4 large egg whites, room temperature
1 cup sugar
1 pinch cream of tartar
1/2 tsp pure orange extract

Method:
Fill medium saucepan one quarter full with water.  Set the saucepan over medium heat, and bring water to a simmer.
Combine egg whites, sugar, and cream of tartar in the heatproof bowl of an electric mixer, and place over saucepan.  Whisk constantly until sugar is dissolved and whites are warm to the touch, 3 to 3 1/2 minutes.  Test by rubbing between your fingers.
Transfer bowl to electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, and whip, starting on low speed, gradually increasing to high until stiff, glossy peaks form, about 10 minutes.  Add orange extract and mix until combined.  Use meringue immediately.


Yields 4 cups
recipe slightly adapted from Martha Stewart

Comments

  1. Pretty as a picture - this looks delicious and, yes, *almost* too good to eat!

    KPM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, how fab! thanks for getting the cake extravaganza off to a good start. Cheers

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts