A Tribute to Dottie's


For those of you that know me.  You know that I'm in love, absolute love, with Dottie's True Blue Cafe in San Francisco.  For any of you that have been to this city, I've suggested, no, pushed the idea that you need to eat there.  It's worth the wait, which depending on the time of day can be over an hour.  I'm headed back in December and I am beyond excited.  In fact it's my first stop after I drop my bags at the hotel.  If you go there, aside from the delicious pastries you will see when you first walk in.  You need to get 3 things:


1. Buttermilk Dill Bread
2. Grilled Chili Cornbread w/ Jalapeno Jelly
3. Pancakes (with ginger and cinnamon)

Hmm, carb fan much?  Seriously, what's wrong with me?
J and I take multiple trips to this restaurant whenever we are in the area.  I can't put into words how fantastic it is.  In fact we love it so much, it actually is our breakfast every morning (except, Tuesday's, when the restaurant is closed.)

Okay, so the buttermilk dill bread is quite possibly my favourite.  Actually, the corn bread is my favourite, or is it the pancakes?  Ahhh, I love them all.   I can't decide.  However, if I could start everyday with the buttermilk dill bread, I would.  Thick sliced, toasted and buttered.  I think I hear angels singing.  Given I don't live in San Fran, this version reminds me a little bit of the city I love, on those 351 days I'm not there.  Dotties is pretty much untouchable, but for those days where I'm jonesing for my fix, this recipe ties me over.

Buttermilk Dill Bread


Ingredients:
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp + 1 tsp baking powder
3 Tbsp sugar
5 tsp dried dill
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 1/2 cups buttermilk

Method:
Preheat oven to 350F.  Grease 9 x 5 inch loaf pan, set aside
In large bowl combine flour, baking powder, sugar, dill, baking soda, salt and pepper.
Add in buttermilk a little at a time until soft dough forms.
Turn in prepared pan.  Bake for 45-50 minutes, or until loaf is golden in colour
Serve warm; reheat when needed.

Devour.  Toasted w/ butter.  Mmmm.

recipe courtesy of food.com

Comments

Popular Posts