Chocolate Zucchini Muffins

zucchini with a side of chocolate...


...don't mind if I do.
Chocolate and Zucchini.  Well, that's one way to ensure kids get their daily vegetable intake.  Lucky for me, my kids (big and small) enjoy vegetables so I don't have to resort to hiding them in food. 
As it turns out, I had an extra zucchini lying around.  What to do, what to do?  I know, I will silence once and for all this chocolate craving I've been putting off for the last couple days.  Perfect.  This hit the spot!



Chocolate-Zucchini Muffins

Ingredients: 
2 eggs
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 - 3/4 cup applesauce (depending how much moisture in the zucchini)
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup zucchini, shredded
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp nutmeg
3 Tbsp almonds, sliced

Method:

Preheat oven to 350.  Line 12 cup muffin tin with paper liners
In large bowl beat eggs, sugar and applesauce.  Add cocoa, vanilla and zucchini and stir well.
Stir in flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg.  Mix until just moist.
Pour batter into prepared muffin tins, filling 2/3 of the way full.  Top with almonds.  Bake for 20-25 minutes.  Remove from pan and let cool on a wire rack.
Yields: 12 muffins
adapted from allrecipes.com


PS. these have to be my favourite liners ever.  skulls and crossbones...love it.

Comments

Popular Posts