Homemade Vanilla-Maple-Almond Butter


I recently added a new kitchen gadget to my ever-expanding collection.  Introducing, my Kitchenaid food processor. 
The thing I was looking forward to most of all with this appliance was the ability to make my own nut butters.  The fact that I can now make my own homemade, all natural varieties and do away with the store bought ones, has me all-a-flutter! Seriously, I equate it to a kid getting an xbox for Christmas, I'm that giddy.
I decided that in addition to making the standard plain almond butter, this was my chance to try different flavour combinations that otherwise aren't available at the local supermarket.  Vanilla Maple Almond Butter being one of them.  This spread is fabulous on a piece of whole wheat toast, or stirred into a hot bowl of steel cut oats.  Mmm...

Some other uses for almond butter include:
cookies
protein shakes
dips for apples or pears
OR my favourite....
with a spoon straight out of the jar
 


Vanilla Maple Almond Butter

Ingredients:
2 cups whole raw almonds
1/3 cup whole flax seeds (optional)
3 Tbsp pure maple syrup, separated
3 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 Tbsp sunflower oil

Method:
Preheat oven to 300 degrees.  Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.  Set aside
Using 2 tablespoons of maple syrup coat almonds and flax seeds (if using) and transfer to prepared sheet.  Bake for 20-25 minutes turning once halfway.
Allow almonds to cool for a few minutes.  Place roasted almonds into a food processor and process for 10-12 minutes, stopping occasionally to scrape down sides of the bowl as needed.  Once smooth and creamy, add remaining Tbsp of maple syrup, vanilla and oil.  Process for another 3-5 minutes
Store in air-tight container in refrigerator. 

ENJOY!  This stuff is delicious!



recipe adapted from edibleperspective

Comments

Popular Posts