Irish Pancakes

It's safe to assume that anytime a holiday comes about where I can blog about pancakes, I will.  So in honor of St. Patrick's Day, I'm featuring, you guessed it....potato pancakes.  I can vividly remember the first time I ever had a potato pancake.  I was in Disney World at the age of 9.  While most kids would order things like pizza, grilled cheese sandwiches or chicken fingers, I was all about pancakes.  Time of day irrelevant.  I loved them back then, and to this day I'm still a fan.
Potato pancakes can vary depending on where you go.  Some are made only with mashed potatoes, others only use grated potatoes.  I'm going with a recipe that combines both, most often known as Boxty.
This savoury pancake is perfect for breakfast or dinner.   Either way it's a pancake, so you know I'm game for whenever.  This recipe is endorsed by both my 10 year old self, and the present-age me.

On a side note, this dish is not only delicious, but comes complete with a song....

"Boxty on the griddle, boxty in the pan, If you can't make boxty, you'll never get your man." 

For all my single ladies, if only finding Mr. Right was as easy as making these pancakes. Boys are more complicated than that I'm afraid.  Oh well at least you have pancakes, that's a win in my books!


How cute is my new St. Patrick's Day hot pad.
Thanks GM!



Boxty (Irish Potato Pancake)


Ingredients:
1 cup cooked & mashed, potatoes
1 cup raw potatoes, peeled & grated (squeezed dry)
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2/3 cup milk
1 egg
salt & black pepper
green onions, chopped
butter for serving

Method:
Preheat oven to 200F.
In medium bowl combine both mashed and raw grated potatoes.  Mix well.  Add in flour, salt and pepper to taste.  Stir.  Lastly add in milk and egg.  Stir.
Heat non stick skillet over medium heat.  Drop batter in 1/4 portions into pan.  Spread out batter till it's 1/4" thick.  Cook until bottoms are golden brown approximately 4-5 minutes.  Flip and cook on other side for 4-5 minutes.
Place on baking sheet and transfer to oven to keep warm.  Repeat with remaining batter.
Serve with butter & garnish with green onions.

Yields: 8 potato cakes

Comments

Popular Posts