Spicy Roasted Chickpeas

Sunday afternoons were made for snacking.  Can I get an Amen?  




AMEN.

As easy as it would be to open up the bag of nachos that is currently residing in my pantry, I opted instead to open up a can of chickpeas and create my own healthy, savoury snack.

If you aren't already familiar with the concept of roasting chickpeas you need to become acquainted, and quick.  Roasting chickpeas brings out a flavour and texture similar to nuts, plus they are full of protein, low in fat, and currently on my list of favourite things.

Usually I opt to roast them with cinnamon and sugar because well, it doesn't get much better than that.  However, the savoury side of my stomach seems to be winning the food/craving battle today, so....



...spicy & salty it is.

Feeling rather nostalgic, I decided to take my flavour cues from my thirteen year old self.  The same "self," who spent lunch hours on the soccer field with a bag of Mexican Chili chips split among friends.  To this day I love that chip flavour, and more so the memories and conversations that went along with it.

  


This takes me back.  Even if it's only momentarily. 


Mexican Chili Roasted Chickpeas


Ingredients:
1 - 19oz can chickpeas, rinsed & drained
1 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
sea salt

Method:
Preheat oven to 400F
In small dish combine cumin, chili powder and cayenne pepper.
Toss chickpeas in oil & spices.  Transfer to baking sheet and sprinkle with sea salt.  Roast for 35-40 minutes, until crispy, tossing every 10 minutes.
Remove from oven and sprinkle with a little more salt if desired.
Enjoy!




Comments

Popular Posts