Orange Rhubarb Yogurt Loaf w/ Orange Glaze

After making my Rhubarb Oatmeal Crumb Bars earlier this week, I've come to realize that I now have a new food obsession to add into my rotation.  Rhubarb.  I have a few extra stalks leftover from the 'care package' courtesy of my parents.  This is what I refer to as avoiding the 'mid-week slump.'  Extra rhubarb?  Yes please!

We try and make the most of all the groceries we buy (or receive for free), trying to waste as little as possible.  This is especially easy when it comes to food I really, really like.  I put my thinking cap on today, and looked for a way to incorporate rhubarb into my life, for the second time in a week couple days.  I'll be honest, I really wanted to make a pie or a tart, or both.  But I think that would just spell trouble.  T-R-O-U-B-L-E.  Problem being, it's mid-week and I stay home all day, which means that yummy, delicious, pie/tart/combo would constantly be trying to woo and tempt me into eating it.  I can't have that.  So instead, I'm baking a yogurt loaf with hints of orange and pecans.  More figure friendly than let's say, flaky, buttery, pie crust.  Not as fun, but still delicious and at least I get my 'rhubarb fix.'

...and rhubarb season continues...




Orange Rhubarb Yogurt Loaf w/ Orange Glaze

Ingredients:
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup sugar

1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 eggs
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/2 cup vanilla yogurt
1/2 tsp pure orange extract (or 1 Tbsp orange zest)

1 cup fresh rhubarb, chopped
1/2 cup chopped pecans


glaze:
1 cup confectioners' sugar
2 Tbsp milk
1/4 tsp pure orange extract (or 1 tsp orange zest)


Method:

Preheat oven to 350. Lightly butter 9-by-5 inch loaf pan.
Mix first five ingredients in large bowl. Add in pecans and rhubarb. In a medium bowl, whisk eggs, applesauce, yogurt and orange extract.  Mix to combine. Fold into the dry mixture until just combined.
Spread batter into prepared pan.  Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 55-60 minutes. Cool 30 minutes in pan on a rack, then turn out onto rack to cool completely.
To make glaze:  whisk all the ingredients together. Pour onto cooled bread. Allow to set for 15-20 minutes. Enjoy.

adapted from my carrot bread w/ hazelnuts, coconut & cream cheese glaze

Comments

Popular Posts