Little Green Trees




Remember when we were kids, and parents would refer to broccoli as 'little green trees.'  I never quite understood this.  If kids have a hate on for broccoli, how come parents think calling it a tree will make it more appealing?  Really?  Do bark and leaves sound more appetizing?  Hmmm, I'm baffled.  Lucky for my parents, I always ate and enjoyed my vegetables, so there was no need to try and make up cutesy names for food.  Looks like my good childhood eating habits are genetic, my kids are vegetable enthusiasts as well.

Usually, we just steam this veggie and serve it plain or with some butter.  Or, on those days where I'm feeling fancy, I'll make some delicious cheese sauce to go along side.  This past weekend, I wanted to try my hand at roasting broccoli.   After all, why should carrots, beets and potatoes get all of the roasting fun.  It's officially the 'trees' turn.  Result?  Yum.  One word.  Enough said. 
Enjoy!  And eat your broccoli.


Roasted Broccoli


Ingredients:
4 cups broccoli florets
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp reduced sodium soy sauce
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp sesame seeds

Method:
Preheat oven to 425F.
In large bowl, whisk together oil, soy sauce and minced garlic.  Add in broccoli, tossing to coat.  Transfer to baking sheet.
Bake for 20-25 minutes.  Turning once halfway. 
Transfer to a bowl and top with sesame seeds.  Enjoy!

Comments

  1. Hi Jen,
    I've been meaning to try some roasted broccoli. Everyone in our house loves the "trees". lol I just recently peeled, diced and roasted butternut squash for the first time. WOW! It was soo good. My hubby and I were like kids in a candy store. I've always loved butternut squash, but roasted is now by far my favorite way to have it.

    ~ Catie

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts