Sweet Potato Hash

Ahhh, it's the weekend again!  More specifically, Sunday morning.  The kids are finishing up a sleepover at the grandparents, I just finished a 5km run and now it's time for the most important meal of the day.  Breakfast! Usually weekend breakfasts are on the sweeter side for me, opting for pancakes, waffles or french toast (basically anything i can put syrup on).  Today, I decided on a more savoury route, after all I can always have pancakes for lunch or dinner should the urge strike :)  Breakfast of choice....sweet potato hash!  I love sweet potatoes, they are top notch on the potato ranking scale in my books. Any way you cook them I'm hooked.  Sweet potato casserole, biscuits, mashed, stuffed, and of course....pancakes!

In a hash you can pretty much use anything and everything.  Today I decided to go with a recipe from eatingoutloud, and incorporate apples, peppers and onions in mine, keeping it vegetarian (only because we seem to be out of bacon at the moment).  The best part about a hash is the soft cooked egg on top.  Mmmmm, nothing quite like breaking open the yolks and having them envelop the rest of the dish.  Yummm.

So where does James Taylor fit into all of this?  He is my backdrop for the morning.  Him, and the cup of coffee I'm currently sipping on.  Given I'm kid less this morning, I have nothing but time to prepare breakfast.  Something about chopping vegetables, caffeine in hand and the soulful music of one of the greats (I mean come on....sweet baby james, fire and rain) is in no question a perfect morning.
LOVE!
JS


Sweet Potato Hash

Ingredients:
1 sweet potato, peeled & cut into small cubes
1/2 onion, chopped
1 small red pepper, chopped
1 tablespoon olive oil
pinch of red pepper flakes
salt and pepper to taste
1 small apple, cored & cut into small cubes
1 green onion, chopped
1 egg


Method:
In a large skillet, heat olive oil.  Add sweet potato and cook for 5 minutes.  Add peppers and onions along with S&P and red pepper flakes.  Cook for an additional 2-3 minutes.  Last, add in the chopped apple and green onion and cook for 2 minutes until everything is heated through.  Remove from pan and serve.
In same skillet, crack egg and fry.  Serve on top of hash.

Comments

Popular Posts