Pesto Gnocchi w/ Shrimp & Green Beans
I love Sundays!
To me they are synonymous with great breakfasts (today with M, accompanied by cheesecake...enough said), lazy afternoons, a glass of wine and dinners that are worth the week wait!
Today's dinner of choice...Pesto Gnocchi w/ Shrimp & Green Beans. Potato dumplings married with fresh basil, olive oil and pine nuts, Mmmm.
I can't take credit for the creation of this recipe, I owe that to Vegas.
During a trip last fall with my mom and sister, we dined at Sirio, an Italian restaurant in the Aria. Nothing like a good carb-fest with two of my favourite girls, before heading off to see Cher in concert. This dish made going to Vegas worth while. I love coming home with new recipe inspirations. Guess not everything that happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas.
Pesto Gnocchi w/ Shrimp & Green BeansGnocchi
6 large russet potatoes
1 cup of flour, plus more for dusting
1 egg yolk
1/8 tsp salt
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Pierce potatoes with fork and bake for 1-1.5 hours until tender. 2. Allow potatoes to cool for 10 minutes until safe enough to handle. Cut in half and scoop out filling, discard the skins. Place in large bowl.
3. While potatoes are still warm, put through a potato ricer. Let cool.
4. Add egg and salt and mix with a wooden spoon. Once incorporated, add flour a little at a time, continue to mix.
5. On floured work surface, turn out dough and knead for 5 minutes. Divide dough into 4 balls and roll out each ball into a skinny rope (1/2 inch in diameter), cut into 1 inch pieces
6. Using the tines of a fork, make indents on each piece.
7. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add half of gnocchi and cook until dumplings start to float, continue to cook for 1 minute longer. Remove from water with slotted spoon and transfer to a bowl. Repeat with remaining gnocchi.
2 cups packed fresh basil
1/2 cup olive oil
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/3 cup of pine nuts
salt & pepper to taste
Place all ingredients except olive oil in food processor. Pulse a few times. Slowly stream in olive oil while appliance is running. Add salt and pepper to taste.
In large bowl place cooked gnocchi.
Add 6-10 cooked shrimp per person
Add 1/2 cup cooked green beans per person
Serve pesto over gnocchi and toss to coat. Garnish dish with additional pine nuts and Parmesan cheese. This dish is best accompanied by a crusty french loaf (great for cleaning up any leftover pesto in your bowl!)