Mexican Cheesecake



Since my theme @ this years Super Bowl party is Mexican.  Of course I needed to find a dessert that fit into this category.   Initially, I was thinking of doing Empanadas.  But as quickly as that idea came, it left.  Replaced instead, by cravings for cheesecake.  Any flavour, I'm not picky.  I just wanted a creamy, indulgent piece of heaven.  It's times like these I love Google.  So, perched in front of my computer I typed in the words 'Mexican Cheesecake.'  Crossing my fingers (and toes) that something would come up.  And you know what?  It did.  Sopapilla Cheesecake.  Awesome.  Not only do I get cheesecake, but the recipe couldn't be simpler.  Perfect, Super Bowl by all accounts should be a laid-back, easy, fuss free day. 

This dessert is worth it's weight in calories.  Seriously.  Try it.  If you love cheesecake, flaky pastry dough, and cinnamon-sugar, then surely this dessert will be like Christmas morning for you.  It was for me.  Reminiscent of a cross between churros and cheesecake, it's the best of both worlds.  Touchdown!  (Sorry for the unnecessary sports pun...)

Sopapilla Cheesecake (aka Mexican Cheesecake)

Ingredients:
2 cans Pillsbury crescent rolls
1-8oz cream cheese (room temperature)
1-8oz reduced fat cream cheese (room temperature)
1 1/4 cups sugar, divided
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp cinnamon
3 Tbsp butter, melted

Method:
Preheat oven to 350F.
Spray a 9 x 13 baking pan with cooking spray.  Unroll and press 1 can of crescent rolls into the bottom of the baking dish, pressing the seams together.
In a separate bowl blend the cream cheese, 1 cup of sugar and vanilla.  Spread over top of dough.
Unroll the second can of crescent rolls and place on top of cream cheese mixture.  Once again ensuring seams are pressed together.
Using pastry brush, brush melted butter over top layer of crescent rolls.  Mix the remaining 1/4 cup of sugar and cinnamon together.  Sprinkle mixture over top. 
Bake for 30-35 minutes.  Cool, slice and enjoy!

Serves 12


slightly adapted from Mommy's Kitchen

Comments

  1. Hey! I found a nearly identical recipe to this on AllRecipes in 2009 and have made it for our annual cinco de mayo party ever since! It is just so yummy and people go NUTS over it. This year we invited too many people so I made two - there wasn't a crumb left for Cole or myself. Mmm.

    Seeing that your hubbie and Cole are both obsessed with Mexican food - I think we need to collaborate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's pretty popular. Really how can you go wrong with cream cheese, sugar and crescent rolls. Dangerous indeed.
      I think a Mexican collaboration sounds like a great idea!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for joining the fiesta over at Carole's Chatter. Cheers

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts